Usman Khawaja says he has already resigned himself to the fact that he will not be selected in the Australian Test XI for the Ashes final in Hobart.
Khawaja took off tons of SCG twins in one of the all-time cricket test returns, scoring 137 in the opening innings of the fourth test and undefeated 101 in the second.
The 35-year-old racing mountain entered his first test in more than two years, having replaced Travis Head at No.5.
Watch every moment of The Ashes live and ad-free while playing on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14 days for free now.
With Pat Cummins already confirming that Head would return to his place in Hobart after recovering from Covid-19, underachiever Marcus Harris was expected to be forced to make way for Khawaja.
But speaking to reporters on Saturday night, Khawaja said based on the conversations he had with the coaches, he would be shocked if he was selected.
“At the moment I’m pretty resigned that I’m probably going to miss something,” Khawaja said.
“That’s how you talk to (head coach) George Bailey and the coaches about going on and having a similar squad at first glance.”
Khawaja pointed out the differences between opening the baton at batting trial cricket at No. 5 where he feels most comfortable.
He said he would support the selectors’ decision to revert to what it was at the start of the series, after suffering cuts and changes earlier in his testing career.
“I’m not totally against it either. I felt like a lot of changes had been made in my career and I was on the wrong side of them a few times, ”he said.
“I’m the first to say that I think there has to be structure and stability. I know how hard it is for a cricketer to cut and change to gain confidence.
“At the moment I don’t expect to play the next test much but I will always be ready because who knows, someone might catch Covid, you have to stay prepared.”
He added: “I’m not a manager but I know what they are saying from the start so I would be surprised if there were any changes.”