North Korea fires ballistic missile, says Japanese PM
North Korea has launched a ballistic missile, the Japanese prime minister’s office said in a statement. Pyongyang fired what appeared to be an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) eastward on Friday, Yonhap news agency reported citing a defense source. The Japanese Prime Minister’s Office tweeted: “[Emergency alert] North Korea has launched a suspected ballistic missile. Further updates will follow.” South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) earlier announced that North Korea had fired an unspecified ballistic missile.
The JCS did not elaborate on details regarding the ballistic missile. Preliminary analysis conducted by the military suggested it was an intercontinental ballistic missile, Yonhap news agency reported citing a source who spoke on condition of anonymity. The development comes after North Korean Foreign Minister Choe Son-hui said Pyongyang would take “more fierce” military action if the United States stepped up its “extensive deterrence” commitment to regional allies.
Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida ordered officials to secure aircraft, ships and other assets. He said officials must take all precautionary measures. He ordered officials to collect and analyze information and provide adequate information. Japan’s Prime Minister’s Office in a tweet said: “Prime Minister’s Instructions Expend maximum efforts on collecting and analyzing information, and provide timely and adequate information to the public. 2. Ensure the safety of aircraft, vessels and other assets 3. Take all possible precautionary measures, including being prepared for contingencies.”
Earlier on Nov. 17, North Korea fired a short-range ballistic missile (SRBM) into the East Sea on Thursday. South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) said it detected the launch. He said the ballistic missile was launched from Wonsan area in Kangwon province at 10:48 a.m. (local time). South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff said the missile traveled about 240 kilometers at an apogee of about 47 kilometers at a top speed of Mach 4. The JCS, in a text message sent to reporters, called the North Korean ballistic missile launches acts of “significant provocation”. “that undermine peace and stability on the Korean peninsula and within the international community.
“The series of North Korean ballistic missile launches are major provocative acts that undermine peace and stability not only on the Korean peninsula but also in the international community, and a flagrant violation of United Nations Security Council resolutions. UN,” South Korean news agency Yonhap quoted. Chief of staff as said in a text message sent to reporters. (ANI)
(This story has not been edited by the Devdiscourse team and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)