Crosley Green and lawyers demand justice as deadline approaches for 11th Circuit ruling
Join 2:00 p.m. ET, April 27 in Titusville or on Facebook Live
TITUSVILLE, Florida., April 27, 2022 /PRNewswire/ — For the first time, Green Crosley and his Crowell & Moring voluntarily The legal team will outline their plans to keep Green free by asking the full panel of 11 judges from the 11and Circuit Court of Appeals to reconsider a recent decision by a three-judge panel that hangs Green’s freedom in the balance. The impact of their ruling could reaffirm that prosecutors should not withhold evidence directly pointing to a defendant’s innocence and therefore impact how prosecutors handle evidence of all crimes in the future. The court will decide whether or not to grant a reconsideration in the coming weeks. Take part in the press conference Titusville, Florida. or via live stream on Facebook Live (details below).
In March, a panel of three judges from the 11and The Circuit Court of Appeals ruled against Green, overturning a historic habeas victory in 2018 that overturned his conviction because prosecutors withheld exculpatory evidence that first responders concluded another individual was the killer .
Green now faces the possibility of having his freedom stripped and returned to prison for a murder he did not commit. Green served nearly 32 years in prison, including 19 years after florida death row, while firmly proclaiming his innocence. He was released in April 2021 under house arrest while his case is pending appeal. Lawyers for Green filed a petition with the 11and Circuit Court of Appeals for a new hearing on April 21th. Crowell & Moring represented Green voluntarily since 2008 on the recommendation of the ABA Death Penalty Project.
Green’s lawyers will discuss:
- The significant implications of the panel’s decision, which allows prosecutors to conceal key evidence from defense counsel.
- What’s next in Green’s long fight for justice as 11and The Circuit Court of Appeals is considering whether the full 11-judge tribunal will hear the case again and what will happen if they don’t.
- A look at the trail of exemptions and the like Brevard County cases from the late 1980s and 1990s that demonstrate a pattern of prosecutorial misconduct.
Green will be joined by members of his family. Green will address:
- How he handles the possibility of returning to prison.
- What it’s been like to live outside of prison for the past year as he reconciles with his family, keeps a job and meets his grandchildren for the first time.
- Green and his family will answer questions.
will also speak Diane Clarkwho was a Brevard County The sheriff’s office patrol sergeant and one of the two first responders to the crime scene. The court’s opinion endangering Green’s freedom hinges on whether information Clarke had that was not disclosed by the state would have been helpful to the defense. Clarke will explain what she observed and why she told prosecutors another person was the likely killer.
- “If prosecutors are allowed to hide and conceal evidence indicating the innocence of defense counsel, it could impact all defendants in the future throughout the 11and Tour—Florida, Georgiaand Alabama“said the Crowell & Moring partner Keith J. Harrison, voluntarily Green’s advice.
- “Prosecutors pushed me to plead guilty. But I refused because I was innocent, and I believed the truth would come out in the justice system. Now it’s my faith in God and the love of my family who keep me going should be afraid of what happened to me because it could happen to anyone,” Green said.
Members of the media, please RSVP via [email protected]. Exclusive interviews with Green and other speakers will be provided before and after the press conference, as requested prior to the conference. Please notify special requests in advance.
Press conference (in person):
2:00 p.m. ET, April 27
Bethlehem Missionary Baptist Church
801 Dummit Ave, Titusville, Florida 32780
*Built in 1889, Bethlehem Missionary Baptist Church is the largest African-American church in Titusville, Florida.
On Facebook Live:
Speakers (Green Family):
- Green Crosley
- Shirley White (Green’s sister)
- O’Connor Green (Green’s brother)
- Diane Clarkan old Brevard County The Sheriff’s Office patrol sergeant and one of the two first responders to the crime scene
- Kenneth B. Nunnlaw professor and Dr. Patricia Hilliard-Nunn Temporary Memorial Professor of Racial Justice (2021-22), University of Florida, Levin College of the law
More details on the case can be found here.
About Crowell & Moring LLP
Crowell & Moring LLP is an international law firm with offices in United States, EuropeMENA and Asia who represents clients in litigation and arbitration, regulatory and policy matters, and transactional and corporate matters. The firm is internationally recognized for its representation of Fortune 500 companies in high-stakes litigation and government affairs, as well as for its ongoing commitment to voluntarily service and diversity, equity and inclusion.
Senior Communications Advisor
E-mail: [email protected]
SOURCE Crowell & Moring LLP